Wednesday, September 26, 2007

ETHICS, COPYRIGHT/INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

The presentation on ethics made me see ethics in a much broader sense. It also made me ethics critically. One important point that was raised was that the responsibility of the of the researcher does not end with the completion of the research but it it continuous - it covers what happens with the collected data, how it is stored. Sometimes it is easy to identify individuals and there is one individual whose name was not mentioned in a study that i did but I think will be easily identified.
In retrospect maybe I should jave consulted before writing the final report.

The political economy driving Intellectual property issues especially in the US was an eye-opener. I retained one lesson- a librarian should not be a copyright policeman but should promote acces to information in all possible ways- without getting entangled with the law!
Ethics, intellectual property, plagiarism- I think I am better equiped to deal with these issues when I encounter them in my engagement with researchers.

The last session on Tuesday 25 Sept was a bit difficult because of lack on current information on the structure of the research portal. The report back session was helpful all the same because some of the issues that we shall have to deal with were highlighted

The outing to 96 Winery road was very nice. I loved the the atmoshere in the restaurant. It helped me to unwind

No comments: